Want to add a openwrt machine in hyper-v for testing? Sadly, the openwrt did not include the hyper-v device driver for the network device.
(Un)luckily there is a legacy network driver in hyper-v that can be used in openwrt.
Steps to add openwrt machine inside hyper-v:
- In hyper-v, add a machine with 64-128MB ram, legacy network device.
- Copy the openwrt image to the virtual hard disk.
- Mount the virtual hard disk (mount /dev/sda2 /mnt) and copy the tulip driver to the hard disk.
- Boot the openwrt machine.
- Inside the openwrt machine, add the tulip driver (cd /; opkg install kmod-tulip_3.3.8-1_x86.ipk)
- ifconfig -a to check the name of the network device.
- Modify /etc/config/network as usual and restart the network (or reboot).